Sunday, July 1. 2012
Chakra tries to avoid any user having to read this news section for updating their system, but this time there is no way around it.
For the last 4-5 weeks major changes have taken place in the core of how Chakra is build. Lots of file movement in git to better track any new commits, updates to kernel, udev, mkinitcpio, filesystem, kmod, initscripts, coreutils, libusb (moved to libusbx), a major move from /lib to /usr/lib has been keeping all devs in Chakra quite busy during that time.
What this means for you as user, when you update next:
- Linux-3.4.3 + linux-lts-3.0.35
- udev 182
- kmod 8-1
- many more core packages updated and rebuild for all the changes mentioned above
- KDE 4.8.3 fully rebuild
- Calligra updated
- Qt build with debugging symbols enabled
- nvidia-96xx no longer supported
This time there are many replaces questions, answer all with "Y" (yes).
Please read carefully for the full correct sequence for this update, since filesystem has undergone a change too:
- sudo pacman -Syu
- answer "Y" to all replaces question
- there will be an error message stating there is a conflict with /etc/mtab
- sudo pacman -S filesystem -f a force is needed to replace that file correctly
- again sudo pacman -Syu, and again answer "Y" to all replaces
For those using the legacy nvidia-96xx drivers, these are no longer maintained, last update was 2009, so please switch to the free drivers before this update. Wiki: Steps to switch from Nvidia to Nouveau
Systemd users, please clear your DAEMON line in /etc/rc.conf before rebooting, so systemd will set your .unit files correctly, after first reboot, you can place those items back in your DAEMON line.
Posted by Manuel Tortosa
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)
The author does not allow comments to this entry